Special Assistance

Assistance with animals in tow

Transport rules

Small pets

Small pets can travel in the cabin in an appropriate carrier with a waterproof and absorbent bottom. The carrier should not exceed the maximum size indicated by the airline. The total weight, including the carrier, must not exceed 8 or 10 kg, depending on the airline. Advance booking is mandatory.

Large pets

Large pets travel in the hold (pressurised, lit, and heated), always in an appropriate carrier, which must comply with IATA standards (the animal must be able to stand and turn round). Advance booking is mandatory.

Endangered species

Birds, fish, frogs or tortoises can enter Italy only if they have a certificate of origin issued by the country of origin. For protected species (parrots, turtles, or ornamental fish) a CITES certificate (export authorisation) must be shown.

For further information see the official website CITES (Washington Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species): www.cites.org

Guide dogs

Guide dogs can travel in the hold in a special kennel or, compatibly with the availability of space, in the cabin, provided they have a muzzle and leash. The transport of guide dogs is free and is not subject to animal weight limits. The availability of space for the dog must be requested when booking the flight. The dog’s owner must also provide the necessary equipment for the animal’s travel needs (muzzle, leash and / or carrier).

Health documents

EU countries

For travel to Euorpean Union countries, cats and dogs must have a “health passport” issued by a qualified ASP vet in your local area.

They will also have undergone an anti-rabies vaccination and be micro-chipped.

Additional guarantees are required when travelling to England, Malta and Sweden.

Cats and dogs cannot enter Italy if they are younger than three months old.

Non-EU countries

If you’re travelling to a non-EU country, then you should contact the relevant veterinary services in the area.

Instead, if you’re entering Italy with animals in tow from a non-EU country, then you must show a certificate of health and origin.

All documentation will be shown upon entry into the national territory to the Border Customs Authorities.