Special Assistance

Child care

In the airport

Family Fast Track – Families travelling with small children up to 6 years of age can use Fast Track and jump the queue at the security checkpoints. All you have to do is let the member of airport staff who is at the entrance to the queuing for security know. As for baby food, there are exceptions to the limitations on liquids you can board with in your hand baggage. The exceptions regard items such as milk, water and foodstuffs in quantities necessary for the duration of your trip. It is, however, necessary to show these food items by taking them out of your hand baggage and presenting them separately at the security checkpoint.

Minors travelling alone

The travel of minors is subject to restrictions and regulations by the different airlines. You must let the airline know that a child between the age of 4 and 12 is travelling alone when booking. An airport attendant will take care of them until it’s time to board and will then place them in the cabin manager’s care for the duration of the flight. Their parent/guardian must remain at the airport until take-off. A minor between the age of 12 and 14 will be able to take advantage of the same treatment but only by explicitly requesting it at the time of booking.

Babies and children between 4 months and 4 years of age can travel alone subject to booking and paying for a hostess, who will take care exclusively of the child throughout the flight.

Parents – or guardians – of children under the age of 14 who travel abroad unaccompanied by at least one of them, and who wish to grant permission to an individual or company (e.g. an airline) must sign the accompanying declaration that will remain registered with the Police. Children over the age of 14 (from 14 years and one day) can travel alone without any accompanying declaration.

If the minor is travelling on national territory, the transit accompanying document is not necessary.

Travel documents for minors

In order to travel, all minors from 0 to 18 must have a separate document. The registration of minors on their parents’ passports is no longer valid.

A minor can travel:

  • with an individual passport
  • with an identity card
  • up to 15 years old, with a document certifying their birth and citizenship endorsed by the Police Commissioner (the so-called laissez-passer).

For more information go to www.viaggiaresicuri.it or www.poliziadistato.it


Some airlines, especially low-cost ones, require documents for minors that are not foreseen by Italian legislation. Before purchasing a ticket, you must read the contract conditions carefully to avoid problems when boarding.

If the minor is travelling within the European Union or abroad:

  • if they are traveling with their parents or with only one of them or with someone who is acting in their stead, the transit accompanying document is not needed, whether their parents are indicated on their passport or identity card or not. In the latter, to facilitate border checks, it is a good idea to carry documentation certifying paternity and maternity as well.
  • if they are travelling with a different person, then the transit accompanying document is required up to 14 years of age. In this case, the name of the person or agency to whom the minor is entrusted must be displayed on the same passport or in a transit accompanying document, signed by the person exercising authority over the minor and endorsed by the competent bodies upon issue of the passport.
  • the minor who is 14 years old (i.e. 14 years and one day) can travel alone without a transit accompanying document
Transit accompanying document for travel in Italy

An Italian minor must have their own personal document for travel. On domestic routes, some airlines require specific documentation for the minor who is travelling accompanied by people other than their parents. It should be noted that police offices issue the transit accompanying document only for Italian minors who are leaving the country and not for travel on national territory. Therefore, to avoid unpleasant surprises when boarding, advance enquiry to the airline should be made to see what their internal regulations require.


Before booking a trip or buying a ticket, you must always check the specific requirements regarding the documents accepted by the country you intend to visit. This applies to both children and adults.

See the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website www.viaggiaresicuri.it and www.poliziadistato.it

Travel to the USA

See the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website www.viaggiaresicuri.it and www.poliziadistato.it